Skip to content

Languages Work

The national information resource on careers with languages

Training to be a translator or interpretor

How do you train and qualify to become an Interpreter/Translator?

Translation and Interpreting are specialist skills. In most cases, you need specialist training and qualifications to work at a professional level.  However, there are various alternative routes open to you, depending on your existing language skills and work experience.

A degree level qualification is preferred but it does not necessarily have to be in languages – you might have acquired your high level language skills through another route, and have a degree in another subject. Experience of another field (e.g. science, technology, law, business) through study or work can be an advantage and help you secure specialist assignments.

Postgraduate training in translation is required by some employers but not all, as practical experience may be taken into account. Postgraduate training is mandatory for employers in the European Union institutions but other employers may require a degree level qualification in interpreting and relevant work experience.

Online poll

Languages Work resources

Which of the Languages Work resources do you find most useful?